Re: setuid/setgid binaries contained in the Debian repository.

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 03:14:23 -0400, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> said:

> On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 08:58:00PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> This bug and others existed in your package for over four years (and
> still exist in stable today).  We might still not know about it if
> you had not brought the package to my attention for review.  Steve
> Kemp might have eventually discovered it in the course of his
> auditing, but I don't know whether he is spending his time on
> non-free software such as angband.

	You note that the bugs have been fixed over a year ago.

> The review, simplistic though it was, uncovered flaws in the package
> in stable which were overlooked by the maintainer.  This kind of
> situation is often preventable through discussion and code review,
> as you have seen.  I would like to promote this beneficial process
> within Debian in order to reduce the workload of the security team
> and the presence of vulnerabilities in our stable releases.

	I haven't objected to code reviews of packages; I objected to
 gathering consensus through discussion; and making admission of new
 packages incumbent on such consensus.

	Now, if this proposal is all about getting the  code reviewd,
 and it is merely a recommendation, as you have implied recently, then
 change the stated wording to reflect that.

	manoj

--
"You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on
the continuing viability of Fortran." Alan Perlis