Re: setuid/setgid binaries contained in the Debian repository.

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 08:58:00PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Given the last review of a setgid program, I wonder if two
>  people are enough. The mistake was simple, human, and undesrtandable,
>  but the review does not in fact talk about any flaws in the current
>  version of angband (tome does need to be so changed); and this kind
>  of error would undermine the process -- especially if the results are
>  couched in terms like those below:

  I think it's accepted that no matter how many people look at a piece
 of code that there may be things missed.

  There are programs I've examined in the past which I believed were OK
 only to later see that they contained flaws.  It's easy to imagine
 things would still be overlooked with more people looking at the code,
 so a "false positive" review would occur.

  However what's the worst that could happen?  If there were a team and
 they messed up we'd have a vulnerable program in the archive which is
 exactly what we have now.  If something were spotted then it could be
 fixed and we'd have reached a better degree of security than that which
 we currently enjoy.

  Given the time it would take for a few people to look over a program
 I think it's a reasonable suggestion, and worth doing even if it doesnt
 catch *everything*.

Steve
---