Re: setuid/setgid binaries contained in the Debian repository.

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:16:25PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> Only because Steve Kemp is doing some good work on auditing our games.
> I suspect he would have just as much luck finding security holes in some
> other areas.

   I've mostly covered the games now, there's not too many left that I
  want to have a look at.

   Next it's editors - I can't believe I found a setuid(0) one!

> > Yes, but I think the eyes should concentrate on non sgid-games first.
> > Because this might be a realy BIG junk of UGLYNESS one will find there :)

  I've found a lot of problems in non-setgid programs too, but those
 reports don't often get as much attention - and to be honest they're
 usually triggered by situations a normal user wouldn't ever trigger.

  So, sure they're important, but they're not _as_ important.

> I understand that if you want to help with the auditing effort,
> information is here:
> http://www.steve.org.uk/Debian/

  Yes assistence would be great; I've not coordinated anything so at
 the moment it's a bit arbitary "pick a package, and have a look at
 it".

  I'll post a list of the packages that I've eximined shortly to avoid
 duplication.

Steve
---
www.steve.org.uk