Re: package name change (moviemate -> mediamate)

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 06:17:17PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> you should Conflict, Replace, and provide MovieMate.  This will ensure
> a smooth transition.  You instead (may) want to upload a package
> called moviemate which is a dummy package that depends on MediaMate.
> Remember, if the user has MovieMate installed they will not get
> MediaMate without actually asking for it.

I was thinking about the dummy package approach, but then the dummy
package would just hang around indefinitely, right?

> how much work is involved in hiding this from the user?  In general
> you should try to just make things work.  The packaging details are
> something our users should not need to know about.  Remember from
> their perspective nothing changed.

Not a whole lot, I've got the answers being migrated already.

> if you can scarf in the old db and make the upgrade just work, that is
> the preferred approach.  Of course that may prove to be too
> complicated or you may just not have enough time.

The old DB works fine after the upgrade against it.  The questions are.
Whether removing the configuration files (/etc/moviemate) is a taboo,
even though the configuration is migrated (/etc/mediamate). And, whether
blanking the answer to the DB purge from moviemate's install is seen as
a problem.

I think if I do the above two items I can provide a very smooth
transition from moviemate to mediamate that a user really won't notice
(as far as the backend changes).  I'd just like to know if anything I'm
planning is frowned upon or can be done better.

Jamin W. Collins