Re: unicode

On Friday 25 July 2003 11:04, David Pashley wrote:

> Probably the biggest unicode problem I have noticed is with man and/or
> less where it can't display dashes correctly. At least it doesn't seem
> to work out of the box.

Fully ACK

vbi@altfrangg:~$ cat ~/bin/man
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
LC_CTYPE=de_CH `basename "$0"` "$@"
vbi@altfrangg:~$

this is my standard wrapper for quite a few programs which can't deal with
unicde. In particular this is man, many gtk1/gnome1 programs, xawtv

But in general, things tend to work reasonably well, and get ever better.

The man (really: groff) issue is known, but AFAICT the fix is really, really
difficult since groff just doesn't know anything about encodings, and the man
page sources are in a variety of encodings. groff 2 is supposed to fix these
problems, but I've got no idea when it is supposed to come.

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/subkeys