Re: May packages rm -rf subdirectories of /etc/ ?

On 24 Jul 2003 14:07:35 +0200, Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk> said:

> On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 13:46, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> I see this as totally bogus.  Either the conffile is shared or it
>> isn't.  If it's shared then the packages involved know this

> Package foo which eliminates /etc/foo.conf doesn't "know" that there
> is not some other package, bar, which Depends on foo and uses
> /etc/foo.conf .  That's the problem.  See
>> 108587 for additional discussion.

	This is an impossible situation, and would place an
 unreasonable burden on packages that wish to remove conffiles. What
 needs to happen is the maintainer of such package needs to look at
 the reverse depends on his package, and inform the maintianers of all
 dependent packages that the conffile is going away. The depending
 packages can either do an versioned dependency on an older version of
 the package (which contains the conffile), or create their own, new,
 conffile.

	After all, we are all in this project together, are we not,
 and we can indeed communicate with each other without having dpkg or
 policy mediate for us?

	manoj

--
The countdown had stalled at 'T' minus 69 seconds when Desiree, the
first female ape to go up in space, winked at me slyly and pouted her