Re: proposal: per-user temporary directories on by default?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 03:13:40PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> > Martin Pool wrote:
> >> At the least I would like to see Debian prompt for this at installation
> >> much as it does for shadow passwords.  Ideally it would be on by
> >> default.

> > I'm all for this idea.

> Thanks.  What needs to be done to have it adopted?

> > Since I use static per-user in home tmp directories
> > I have not looked at libpam-tmpdir though. I suppose that enabling it
> > currently requires making some modifications to many of the pam.d files?

> Yes, it does.  This is a slight problem: it would be nice if there were a
> way to say "this session module should apply to all services", but I don't
> think there's any way to do that in PAM.  It could be done in either
> libpam or a Debian script that generates the files, but it's not strictly
> needed.

This should soon be possible, by making the relevant changes to
/etc/pam.d/other and /etc/pam.d/common-session (not yet present in the
Debian packages).  The support for this layout in the PAM packages is
well underway, but I don't think anyone's begun work yet on an
"update-pam" interface for managing these two config files.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer