Re: What's the character encoding of manpages?

Am 24.07.03 um 15:55:43 schrieb Aaron Isotton:
> what are man pages, or more generally, groff documents, supposed to be
> encoded in?  I didn't find any reference to that in groff(7).  Is it
> ASCII?

Preferably ASCII, yes. I seem to remember having once read that the
input actually is in Latin-1. There, 0xA0 is a non-breaking space.
I wouldn't rely on this, though. Many manpages are in Latin-2, since man
used to not do any conversion at all, assuming input would be in the
same encoding as output.

Bye,
    Mike

--