What's the character encoding of manpages?

Hi,

what are man pages, or more generally, groff documents, supposed to be
encoded in?  I didn't find any reference to that in groff(7).  Is it
ASCII?

The problem arises because I have to transform a Docbook XML document
into a manpage; there, all spaces (ASCII 0x20) inside a <literallayout>
are translated into 0xA0 in the output.  I don't know what an A0 is
supposed to be, but man ignores it when generating output, thus
effectively removing the spaces from the output.

If a groff document should be ASCII, then this is a bug in docbook-xsl.
Otherwise, I don't know.

You can reproduce the problem compiling the sitemap package from sid.

[Side note: there's also another problem unrelated to this; see
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=763861&group_id=21935&atid=516914
for more information]

Aaron Isotton                                 [ http://www.isotton.com ]
--