Re: why no python, tcl, tk metapackage?

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 20:03, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> I see my sid system has collected various python 2.1 and 2.2 packages, but
> no 2.3 packages.  Couldn't there be a python metapackage that I could
> install to always keep python at its freshest, also saving disk space
> by disposing older versions?

When Debian switches its default Python version to 2.3, the metapackage
'python' will depend on Python 2.3. Likewise, the various python-foo
packages will (if their maintainers are active) depend on python2.3-foo
instead of python2.2-foo, as they do currently.

Conflicting with an old version of Python is a bad idea, because the
migration from x to x+1 does not happen instanteously, and so you may
very reasonably with x and x+1 to be installed together.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>