Re: Excessive wait for DAM - something needs to be done

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 01:12:53AM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Jamin W. Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> [2003-07-17 17:26]:
> >    - Why are these people still waiting, many without a publicly
> >      stated reason?
>
> Because the DAM hadn't had a chance to evaluate their application yet?

He hasn't had a chance to review an application that's been waiting on
him (not an AM or other, but DAM) for over a year?  I find that
extremely laughable.

> >    - Do you, as DPL, feel it is acceptable for someone to be keep
> >      awaiting DAM approval for more than 3 months without comment
> >      from the DAM?
>
> No, I don't think this is acceptable and I'm working on getting this
> changed.  At the same time, please don't accept miracles/panaceas
> tomorrow for a problem which is much more complex than probably all
> involved in this discussion might think (for a hint see the note
> below).

The main problem so far is a lack of communication from DAM, I hardly
see providing updates and comments to an applicant as a "complex" task.

> >    - What exactly are DAM's delegated powers and responsibilities?
>
> The DAM has the exclusive power to create and remove accounts.  It is
> up to them to make a decision who should receive and keep accounts.

Interesting, prior to this statement I hadn't seen anything to indicate
that DAM alone could revoke an existing DDs account.

> >    - Why has there been no response from DAM regarding this
> >      situation?
>
> I'd have to guess, but perhaps a reason is that he doesn't perceive
> the discussion as helpful.  (Note that for example that while adding
> DAMs has been suggested nobody has yet posted a list of prospective
> and capable candidates.)

Perhaps that is because only the DPL can appoint them (as far as I can
tell) and we haven't seen a request from you for them.

> In any case, applications will be processed (and some rejected, I'd
> assume) once db.d.o is up again.

I'm sorry, but db.d.o being down is really not an excuse for lack of
updates and processing.  Sure it's down and accounts can't be made.
That doesn't mean that processing has to stop dead.  Everything outside
of db.d.o can (and should) continue.  Then when db.d.o is back, the
remainder of the work can be done.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar