Re: but I want the GNU versions of packages

Emile van Bergen <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> writes:
> Ah, but at the cost of speed, I've heard. mawk is supposed to be a lot
> faster.

It is (often, at least).  On the stuff I use awk for, mawk can be an
order of magnitude faster than gawk, and since my input files are
sometimes gigabytes in size, it matters a lot...!

[The thing I've most wanted from gawk that mawk doesn't have is gensub,
since it lets you do include sub-match substitutions in the replacement
string.]

-Miles
--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]