Re: the RFC mess: tentative summary

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 07:27:50PM +0100, Matthew Woodcraft wrote:
> > One good solution to 'Netscape isn't free' was to write a free
> > replacement.
> Oh?  Which browser in the archive is a suitable free replacement for
> Netscape, written from scratch? :)

Mozilla was completely written from scratch, after most of a year of
wrangling with the Navigator 4.x hairball Netscape spat out:

    <http://www.gerbilbox.org/newzilla/general/general04.php>

(Note that even "ah, but it wasn't a *complete* rewrite!" serves the
argument that free software needs the right to fork.)

--
 \            Hercules Grytpype-Thynne: "Well, Neddie, I'm going to be |
  `\      frank."  Ned Seagoon: "Right, I'll be Tom."  Count Moriarty: |