Re: default MTA for sarge

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:12:59AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 12:24:34PM +1200, Nick Phillips wrote:
> > Hmmm. None of which are compelling advantages of postfix over exim; all of
> > those also apply to exim.
>
> except for secure, fast, and scales beautifully from small to large systems.
> and i'm not so sure about "very easy to configure", either...."fairly easy",
> yes.  "very easy", not really.
>
> while (AFAIK) there are no current exploits for exim, that is more by accident
> or luck than by design - the monolithic mail daemon running as root design is
> inherently insecure.

I'm not sure about that. Exim drops priviledges whenever it can. Mail
servers must run as root at least some of the time because they need to
change user for each delivery. The usual trick is to make sure your EUID
stays as non root. Even postfix must do this somewhere along the way.

Mind you, is anyone here really suggesting this thread is anything other a
postfix vs exim religious war?

> exim is certainly not fast, and while it may be adequate for tiny mail systems
> with trivial loads, it doesn't scale up to large mail systems - which is an
> important point, debian is better off with a default MTA that can handle any
> load thrown at it.

Oh come on, there are exim sites doing hundreds of thousands of deliveries per
day which I imagine would cover most sites where debian is likely to be
installed.

Do you have any actual data to backup your claims?

> > P.S. Does anyone disagree that this is, essentially, a religious issue?
>
> no, it's a quality issue.
>
> this idea may be blasphemous in today's anti-meritorious world of standardised
> mediocrity but not all things are the same.  some things really are better than
> others.

Maybe, but I don't think this is one of those cases.