Re: default MTA for sarge

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 12:37:30AM +0200, Joey Hess wrote:
> > There's still Exim 3. I agree that having to switch to a text-only program
> > rather than another instance of debconf is visually unappealing and likely
> > hindering for automated installations, and that it is software that's dead
> > upstream, but Exim 3's exim.conf files are reasonably well done, it's not
> > hard to keep pressing enters for newbies, and the whole process and
> > documentation are obviously better tested than with the new Exim.
> >
> > Which isn't to say that Exim 4 can't improve to become perfectly suitable,
> > or that e.g. Postfix can't improve to become perfectly suitable[1], but
> > there's no reason to make these decisions months before the release even
> > looks near.
>
> So you're sayng that exim4 is not well enough tested relative to exim3,
> but that we can just wait to get it tested until just before release.
> Hm.

Just because it's not selected right now that doesn't mean it would
receive no testing, how exactly do you infer otherwise?

Perhaps less testing with d-i snapshots initially (which just means less
unsuspecting audience, not necessarily _real_ testers), but later it can be
introduced into that as well.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.