Re: default MTA for sarge

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:34:53PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:06:40PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 04:55:52PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > > Because exim is relatively simple to configure, has all it's config in one
> > > place, and has a (largely) human-comprehendable configuration.
> >
> > that description applies to postfix.
> >
> > postfix config is extremely simple & easy, and the configuration is definitely
> > human readable.  it's all plain text and fairly close to natural language.
>
> Bwahahaha!  Defining transports and whatnot is an exercise in frustration,

actually, it's trivially easy.  i created my own transport ("vpop" to add
X-Original-To headers to POP multidrop mailboxes...obsolete now, postfix can do
this natively) within a week of first installing postfix several years ago.

i think your complaints are more telling about yourself than about postfix.

> and there are definite issues with where you can hook things into (where the
> hell do you attach postfix when you want the server to run spamc?)

you read the documentation, esp. /usr/share/doc/postfix/FILTER_README.gz which
has step-by-step instructions for setting up content filtering.

or you apt-get install amavisd-new (or similar package) and follow the
instructions included.

5 minutes work for anyone willing to read documentation.

> > > Postfix, the few times I've used it, appeared to have none of these
> > > things.
> >
> > dunno what you were looking at but it doesn't sound like postfix at all.
>
> <shrug>  Maybe there are sekr1t spells you can use to make postfix easy to
> configure, but the lack of a decent reference manual is enough to turn me off
> it, when two clicks from www.exim.org will get you the complete "here's
> everything you ever wanted to know about exim" manual.

exim may work by weird voodoo, but postfix runs on science.  the documentation
is clear and concise, there are READMEs and FAQs covering common questions, the
default config files and (empty) map files are full of commented documentation,
and there are man pages for everything....no need for "sekr1t spells".

craig