Re: Qt3 still broken (compat-headers), what to do?

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 11:51:18PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 01:51:07PM +1000, Ben Burton wrote:
>
> > It seems then that our options are as follows.
>
> > (i) Wait for the Qt maintainers to upload a fix.
> > (ii) Do an NMU for Qt, despite the fact that this bug is not release-critical.
> > (iii) Resort to the technical committee.
> > (iv) Keep the package split and release sarge with a broken Qt development
> > environment.
[...]
> Though I certainly agree that the current packages are gratuitously
> broken, an NMU without the consent of the maintainer seems almost
> certain to turn into a pissing contest.  Since (i) hasn't gotten
> anywhere in four months, I would suggest that (iii) is the way to go
> here:  this is precisely the sort of case I think the technical ctte. is
> for.

Bah, the Technical Committee takes months, sometimes over a year, to do
something even as seemingly uncontroversial as voting in opposition to
whichever solution Branden Robinson proposes.  (Don't believe me?  Read
the debian-ctte archives.)

To punt this to the Technical Committee is to stall a solution for
potentially a very long time.

If you're certain you're right, and you can get the NMU correct, the
only people who will complain will be the package maintainers.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      It doesn't matter what you are
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      doing, emacs is always overkill.