Re: Kernel question: initrd/cramfs

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 06:04:41PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Nenad Antonic <nenad@math.hr> wrote:
> > Apparently, there is a bug (at least from my perspective) which
> > prevents initrd/cramfs in stock kernels, which has been arround for
> > years. On the other hand, this bug gets fixed in every version of
> > debian
>
> Why are you trying to use initrd anyway? It's much easier to build the
> drivers into the kernel.

Not if you want the kernel to function on a wide variety of hardware.
Plus there are some situations that a monolithic kernel just can adapt
to, such as system partitions on a firewire device (sbp2 can't be built
into the kernel TMK).

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar