Re: eicar.com installer in Debian, and pre-upload interface to ftpmaster

Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Thomas Viehmann (tv@beamnet.de) [030705 23:50]:
>
>>So why is the recommendation against skipping the ITP to aviod problems in
>>ftpmaster review "not right"?
> A (strong) recommendation for doing ITPs right is right and usefull.
> But - all foreseeable problems should be handeled at ITP-time, and
> that's not the case. So the recommendation is right, but it doesn't
> solve the problem Marc spoke of.

I doubt that an eicar-installer ITP would have survived the scrutiny of devel.
So it may not solve the general problem Marc about but it solves a very good
share of it, most likely *including* the very specific instance he had problems
with.

If you can't come up with a case where the ITP review was positive and ftpmaster
rejected the package in itself with a unforseeable reason (regarding a problem
that cannot be fixed), I fail to see any merit in your argument.
There's no point in establishing VIP review for people who are think they are
too important for  undergoing peer review.

*Look* at #198311 and search for debian-devel and then ask yourself why Marc
thinks that -devel should only be used as a forum to discredit ftpmasters work,
and not as a place where ITPs should be reviewed.

Cheers

T.