Re: Debconf or not debconf : Conclusion

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 02:28:33PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Yet another reasons for wanting to decouple installation and
> > configuration is if some hardware company (such as VA^H^H Emperor
> > Linux) wishes to ship Debian pre-installed on the system.  In that
> > case, installation happens at the factory, and not when the user
> > receives it in his/her hot little hands.
> Given the number of config questions today that have to do with
> available hardware, I have a hard time believing that a strict split
> between installation and configuration tasks really addresses the needs
> of such vendors.  It also seems that all of the above are achievable
> within the framework debconf currently provides

You've just contradicted yourself.

If it's possible to achieve all of the above within the framework debconf
currently provides, then a strict split between installation (preinst,
unpack and postinst) and configuratin (config and templates) really
addresses the needs of such vendors. If, on the other hand, it doesn't,
then it's not.

Cheers,
aj

       ``Is this some kind of psych test?