Re: Please remove RFCs from the documentation in Debian packages

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

>> There are borderline cases, such as the GFDL or free works in
>> non-editable formats (PS, PDF, in some cases even HTML), or licenses
>> or other documents of perceived legal relevance.
>
> I have argued on debian-legal that licenses as applied to specific works
> that are part of the Debian OS (meaning, "in main") are permitted to be
> non-modifiable, for the same reason that the copyright notices
> themselves are permitted to be non-modifiable.

This is a strawman, about one third of the GPL is not the actual
permission notice, and these parts already required updates.

> (Yes, I know that we ship it in a way you might think is "of itself" in
> base-files.  You'd be right if we didn't have other packages' copyright
> files refer to /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL, but we do.)

Does this take into account that there are multiple versions of the
GPL v2 floating around which aren't bit-wise identical?  (I'm just
curious, I don't think it really makes a difference as these changes
are not part of the permission notice.)