Re: Please remove RFCs from the documentation in Debian packages

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 02:30:47PM -0500, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 07:36:13PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > Bullshit. It is common for RFCs to be revised over time, and
> > formulated into new documents. This license prohibits agencies other
> > than the IETF from revising an RFC and publishing the result.
>
> Yes, and the new document is given a new reference number.  You've said
> the words yourself, "formulated into new documents."  The new document
> is referenced as RFC (MAX+1).  The revision process itself shows that
> the document is static.  Individual documents may prohibit editing, but
> the process encourages it.  I suggest reading RFC 2026 in its entirety.

The license prohibits anybody from doing this; the IETF can only
because they own the copyright.

> > In addition, this license prohibits taking text from an RFC and using
> > it in free documentation, or even in the --help output for free
> > software.
>
> Hmmm...  In RFC 2026[1], which describes the Notifications to be included
> in each standards-related documentation, suggestes in section 10.4.(C)
> that such fair-use is allowed.  Interesting that you would interpret it
> otherwise.

Where? Also note that fair use does not exist in all jurisdictions, so
claiming something is free based on fair use provisions is bogus.

> > Respect the wishes of the original authors of the software and use it
> > in the "proper" manner: they way they intended it to be used,
> > unmodified. ...[snip]... Oh, oops.
>
> Exactly.  Now you're getting it.  Those English and Grammar classes must
> be paying off.

Your sarcasm detector is broken. And for some reason you seem to be
advocating non-free software. Go away.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK