Re: Please remove RFCs from the documentation in Debian packages

Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 06:23:14PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>>  > That would be clause #1 of the Debian Social Contract.
>>
>>  Where do you draw the line between software, data and documentation?  I
>>  get the impression that you are reading "Debian Will Remain 100% Free
>>  Software" to mean "everything in Debian will be Free Software" instead
>>  of "all the software in Debian will be Free Software".
>
> Well, of *course* we do. It would be idiotic and hypocritical to
> interpret it as "The software in Debian will be free, but the
> documentation doesn't have to be".
>
> We have historically allowed some free non-software things into the
> archive, since it doesn't matter very much. Why does anybody think
> that allowing non-free non-software things into the archive is
> acceptable?

It all depends on how you define "free".  I think that documentation, as
long as it's freely distributable and usable, is free enough.  I don't
see any need to require documentation to be freely modifiable.

--
Poems... always a sign of pretentious inner turmoil.