Re: eicar.com installer in Debian, and pre-upload interface to ftpmaster

On Thursday 03 July 2003 16:51, Marc Haber wrote:

> Additionally, I would like to seriously propose establishing a
> pre-upload interface to ftpmaster so that a developer could learn that
> he is writing a package pending rejection after upload _before_
> spending time on building that package. I find it disturbingly
> impolite to say "sorry, we don't want your volunteer work" _after_ the
> work has been done. Especially if it is done in Mr. Troup's usual "why
> did you bother me in the first place, mere mortal" style.

I find that to be a very unfair accusation, since at least to my eyes there
was nothing especially unfriendly, unreasonable or otherwise criticizable in
James rejection notice. If he had told you that the package was never going
to be included for some not entirely obvious reason then I could understand
your sentiment, but stating his reasons, and then referring you to a public
list for further discussion, (thereby, in my reading at least, implying that
while he thinks the package isn't suitable at least yet, public discussion
might reveal otherwise) seems quite fair to me.

I personally very much value the fact that someone like James whose knowledge
and judgment I trust invests so much time in vetting (my) packages for
potential omissions or stupidities.

Cheers,
Yven

> Greetings
> Marc, somewhat mad at the moment

Hmm, *my* strategy for handling such states of emotional unrest is to wait at
least half a day to see how much anger or "madness" is actually left, since I
find that to be an enormous efficiency gain with respect to avoiding lengthy
and pointless discussions... ;-)

--
Yven Johannes Leist - leist@beldesign.de
http://www.leist.beldesign.de