Re: [devel] logging for package installs

Op vr 04-07-2003, om 02:11 schreef Christoph Berg:
> Re: [devel] logging for package installs [Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>, Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:38:46PM -0400, <[🔎] 20030703213846.GN910@dragon.kitenet.net>]
> > - Display various fairly unimportant warnings, which are often not
> >   useful until after the package is installed and you're using it.
> > - Display error messages, some fatal, and some not.
> > - Show progress displays (in contravention of policy of course).
> > - Various other indications of important and not so important things
> >   that the maintainer script is doing.
> > - Remind users to read the README.Debian file.
>
> For most (some?) of these, the syslog could be used.

Don't even think about it. Syslog is already such a mess that we need
tools to parse it, and weed out the 'unimportant' information. Also,
syslog is usually rotated, which means that this information would get
lost fairly soon (if I'm not mistaken, the default logrotate
configuration throws away information older than a week); As I
understand Joey, that is not really the idea (but I could misunderstand
him :-)