Re: woody/sid packages in dists/potato

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> I'm trying to run debootstrap to see if it plays nice with sysvinit.
> And the other way around.
>
> But at the moment, it bails out because it wants to install
> libident which still is in the potato part of the archive ...
> and my local mirror doesn't carry dists/potato anymore.
>
> There's a handful of packages that have the same problem:
>
> % grep ^Filename: Packages | grep -v ": pool/" | wc -l
>      24
>
> They're all in potato. What would be the right way to fix this ?

It's not a bug in itself for those packages to be still under potato,
as far as they are not buggy for some other reason as well.

If you mirror woody you should look at the Packages.gz file for woody
and retrieve whatever Filename:s are referenced there. Assuming that all
packages in woody, sarge or sid have to be under the pool directory is
considered as a bug in whatever method to create the local mirror you
might be using.

In other words, what we call "the pool" is really the sum of packages
in the "potato" directory and packages in the "pool" directory. The
fact that all packages which belong to potato are all under the
"potato" directory is just an extra property which "the pool" is
required to satisfy.

> - file 24 bug reports
> - fix the FTP archive manually by copying the packages to pool/
> - it's not really a problem, so do nothing

It's not a problem as such, but if, for instance, they are still
using /usr/doc, that's something that might be reported.