Re: Debconf or not debconf : Conclusion

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 12:18:33AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> sometimes think Eric Troan really got this part of rpm's design right
> (some 7 or 8 years ago) when he completely forbade any I/O between the
> install scripts and the user at install time.
[...]
> (And perhaps by removing this crutch, packagers will be more
> encouraged not to grauitiously break things as the result of package
> upgrades, even if upstream does something stupid.)

Unfortunately, this does not happen in the install-time-note-free Red
Hat world. I see RH package upgrades break^Wchange things which are
not obviously documented and would benefit from a note (or, a la
debconf, an email) just mentioning what has occurred.

I much prefer the opportunity to warn the admin at install time.

Dave