Re: Please remove RFCs from the documentation in Debian packages

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 15:19, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 02:36:48PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > | Well, once you folks have come up with a definition of "software", you
> > | be sure and let us know.
> > How about "anything included in Debian"?  That way we won't be in danger
> > of violating the Social Contract #1.
>
> Oh, cool. How about changing in DFSG to "Anything that can go in main or contrib."

Because that's a circular definition. Saying everything in Debian is
software, is not.

It's also the only reasonable way to define software. Or at least, the
only reasonable way I (or anyone else who has voiced their opinion on
this issue here) have come up with in 3 years, and it's not for a lack
of trying.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>