Re: Please remove RFCs from the documentation in Debian packages

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 07:21:34PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> Well, of *course* we do. It would be idiotic and hypocritical to
> interpret it as "The software in Debian will be free, but the
> documentation doesn't have to be".
>
> We have historically allowed some free non-software things into the
> archive, since it doesn't matter very much. Why does anybody think
> that allowing non-free non-software things into the archive is
> acceptable?

Because they are emotional about it, and perceive a proclamation of "not
DFSG-free" as some sort of taint.

How *dare* we *condemn* the *great work* of the IETF so!

Except we're not condemning it at all.  The DFSG provides us with a
series of tests that help us determine whether something is Free as in
Freedom.  RFCs under the "new license" clearly are not.  Big deal.
Plenty of enjoyable things in life aren't Free as in Freedom.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Imagination was given man to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    compensate for what he is not, and