Re: Please remove RFCs from the documentation in Debian packages

Sebastian Rittau wrote:

>There's no need to. But I want to have the right to change a standard
>slightly, and hand it around, telling people that this is how I would
>have liked the standard. I also want to have the right to enhance or
>even change a standard, and use it e.g. for some internal project. I
>want to quote parts of the standard in other documents or my software
>(maybe even outside the "fair use" constraints). I might not be allowed
>to do that. There might be other restrictions as well.

Also note that "fair use" isn't a universal concept - UK law doesn't
include it (the "fair dealing" provisions that deal with the same sort
of thing are significantly more limited), and so any argument that
something is "free enough" based on the existence of fair use provisions
isn't a terribly strong one.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org