Re: Please remove RFCs from the documentation in Debian packages

Le jeu 03/07/2003 à 13:00, Petter Reinholdtsen a écrit :

> There seem to be someone believing that standard documents should be
> treated as software.  Standards are not software.  Standards do not
> improve if everyone is allowed to modify them and publish the modified
> version as an updated version of the standard.  Standards get their
> value from having a rigid procedure for updates and modifications.
> Software do not.

There are specific licenses for dealing with this kind of stuff. You can
e.g. require modified versions to be clearly marked as such.

Or else, if the standards are not free, let them in non-free. We're not
going to let non-free documents enter main just because they are called
RFC's or W3C recommendations.