Re: Debconf or not debconf

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 02:05  AM, Branden Robinson wrote:

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:53:57PM -0400, Joe Drew wrote:
Joey Hess has mentioned, and I agree (see 199722), that debconf notes
should really be named (and should always be interpreted as) warnings.

Huh.  I thought it was supposed to be even stricter than that; errors
only.

E.g.:
[...] input validation errors.

IMO, when a debconf warning is shown, the administrator should need to do something. Regardless of whether that "something" is dumping and re-loading databases, reconfiguring a radically changed package, or re-entering the PCI BusID in a valid format, the warning (or error) informs the administrator that action is required on their part.

Anything else should be placed in NEWS.Debian.