Re: Application files in $HOME

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 10:57:40PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi, Mathieu Roy wrote:
>
> > Gimp and many others software creates dotfiles. Because from the start
> > you configure it (cache size, temp dir).
> >
> Why should I want a per-user configuration option for temp file location?
>
> > For their size? Apart from web browser cache, what can be so big?
> >
> So? Browser caches should be deleted too, when the browser is deinstalled.

   What if I want to keep the history, bookmarks, or whatever.... perhaps even
for an enhanced version (think Mozilla, Galeon, Epiphany and all of that).

> Anyway, there's email readers (my .sylpheed is 73 MBytes), news readers,
> picture browsers, ... my ~/.sylpheed is bigger than my ~/.kde.

   73 Mbytes? What does sylpheed save in its directory? Sent mail, perhaps? If
so, I personally would be *very* pissed off if uninstalling the package would
delete all my sent mail (even if it were a custom binary format).

   Now, if one removes or purges, say, KDE to install an unofficial version...
would (s)he loose all his icons and configuration?

   It would be nice, perhaps, having a tool to do it "by hand", but I don't
think everybody wants it to be done automatically when removing packages.

> > Well designed software that change their configuration file should be
> > able to handle an older configuration file.
>
> That's not the point. The point is that a program will never be able to
> change the default for any option from FOO to BAR, because FOO is
> hardcoded in every user's configuration file -- and it can't know whether
> the user has FOO in there because they explicitly set it, or because it's
> the default.

   Yes, but I don't think it's worth the effort (and the risk of pissing off
lots of people). Why not simply put a note in README.Debian, if it's that
important?

   Regards,

--
Esteban Manchado Velázquez <zoso*demiurgo*org> - http://www.demiurgo.org
No software patents in Europe! - eurolinux.org - proinnova.hispalinux.es