Re: but I want the GNU versions of packages

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 10:55:44AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> >From the tone of your message, I bet there are lots that you fellows
> have pre-chosen for us new debian users.  So far I have discovered
> mawk, and mailx.  So, out with it, what are the rest?

Umm, I don't really think there was a lot of design in this. When it came to
set up the initial base system years ago, someone picked one over the other.
Maybe it was an accident, maybe it was the first version that came to mind.
Maybe the GNU version wasn't even packaged yet.

If you think there is a compelling reason to change and can show that gawk
and mawk are 100% compatable, maybe it can be worked on. But it seems most
people don't really care.