Re: [mass bug filing?] Short descriptions being used as long descriptions and other policy violations

Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> writes:

[...]

>> I was wondering, should I make a mass filing of bugs for those packages
>> who fail to produce a proper description?
> [...]
>
> I doubt that just filing bugs without fix makes sense, OTOH
> if you planned to submit 10 reports with "the description sucks, here
> is better one - tags:patch" instead of 100 simply stating "the
> description sucks", please go ahead. ;-)

[...]

I'd say that writing a meaningful package description is certainly the
duty of the individual package maintainer. A package maintainer should
usually have an idea of what his/her package is good for, while Javier
would probably have to spend a lot more time to figure that out, at
least for lesser known packages.

I don't think that filing a bug saying that "Your extended package
description does not meet Debian policy requirements. Please consider
writing 4-5 lines to give sysadmins an idea what your package can do
for them." means asking too much from a Debian maintainer.

You don't have to write "Your package sucks", there certainly are more
polite and less offensive ways. I would e.g. tell them that a nice
description might motivate more people to use and install your
package.

And BTW:

Thanks,

Johannes