Re: maildirmake

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 anobo@gmx.de wrote:

> Now I'm wondering about it even more.  IMHO `maildirmake' is _very_
> necessary for any mail and as it seems to be only a 2-line-shell-script
> why it isn't included anywhere and anyway in the base-system?

As I recall, maildirmake is only needed if you are running Maildir-based
MDAs, which Debian does not by default[1].  That is enough of a reason not
to ship it in the base system, regardless of whether it's a two line shell
script or not.

Any package which actually needs to create Maildir folders (or which may
need the user to do so to take advantage of the package) should declare the
appropriate relationship with a maildirmake-providing package.

Since you shouldn't need to use maildirmake except when using something like
courier, I don't see the problem with having it installed in order to have
the script available.  Could you elaborate on your usage of maildirmake in
this courier-less situation?

[1] Arguments as to whether Debian should do this or not should be directed
to /dev/null.

> Thanks Andreas

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence