aptitude borked [was: Re: Fun with python-apt]

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

If you had wanted to find out the answer before sending this to
debian-devel, you would not have had to look very far.
bugs.debian.org/python-apt has the answer three times over.

That's not particularly helpful.  Consider my situation:

# aptitude dist-upgrade
[...]
67 packages upgraded, 46 newly installed, 0 to remove and 39 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/106MB of archives. After unpacking 55.0MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/e/d/v/action/?] y
Writing extended state information... Done
/bin/sh: line 1: /usr/bin/apt-listchanges: No such file or directory
E: Failure running script /usr/bin/apt-listchanges --apt || test $? -ne 10
Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to recover:
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information... Done

# aptitude remove apt-listchanges
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information... Done
Package apt-listchanges is not installed, not removed
[...]
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/e/d/v/action/?] y
Writing extended state information... Done
/bin/sh: line 1: /usr/bin/apt-listchanges: No such file or directory
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information... Done

???

It seems like apt-get might work (it says it will upgrade 100
packages instead of 67) but the 67 are in the apt cache,
I'm on a modem today and I don't have time to download 14MB
of data over a flaky phone line today.  And then there's no
guarantee it will work because it seems as though apt thinks
apt-listchanges is still installed.

Help?

                         -Dave

--

"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
 and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson