Re: Fun with python-apt

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 10:22:54AM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> Yep. That's the point of my proposal. They would be. When you changed a
> package to use the new c103 (or whatever the next ABI is), you'd change
> the library dependencies to the c103 versions.

This will work, but it will stop the ability to rebuild the packages and
migrate thereby to a new API.

I dont know which is more important, stable testing dependencies or dynamic
evolution of the package pool. Personally I think the later is, what testing
is for.

But: it would be good to detect such a mismatch on build time, for
backporting purpose. One good thing would be a static detection of lib
incompatibilities in the rules file.

How about dh_shlibdeps, is it detecting this (and failing?). Hmm.. actually
I think this was not the problem in the current example.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --