Re: Debian for x86-64 (AMD Opteron) and migration?

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 07:33:35AM +0200, Xavier Roche wrote:

> Then, a nice thing would be on Debian, for a regular user/administrator:
>
> - switch the disks to a Opteron box
> - update the APT sources to a "Opteron" source, or to a "Opteron
> migration" source
> - then, use something like :
> apt-get install base-64
> to install the essential system files for 64-bit
> apt-get install libc6-64 ..
> essential libraries and elements for 64-bit code
> apt-get kernel-image..-64
> 64-bit kernel for Opteron
>
> I'm not sure that all remarks are wise, but I did not see this
> (migration) point clearly emerging from the "Debian for x86-64 (AMD
> Opteron)" previous discussion

Well, to some extent is was mentioned in the subthread by Wichert about
dpkg being changed to allow multiple architectures at the same time, so
that it's a matter of

# echo x86-64 >>/etc/dpkg/legal-archs

or, if ordering matters,

# echo x86-64 >/etc/dpkg/legal-archs.new
# cat /etc/dpkg/legal-archs >>/etc/dpkg/legal-archs.new
# mv /etc/dpkg/legal-archs.new /etc/dpkg/legal-archs

and suddenly an

# apt-get install fvwm2

will fetch pool/main/f/fvwm/fvwm_2.4.6-2_x86-64.deb from the archive,
and pull in packages such as lib64c6, lib64readline4, lib64gtk1.2.

In this example, only one version (32 or 64 bit) of an application such
as fvwm can exist on the system (package name is the same, only
architecture field is different), whereas both libreadline4 and
lib64readline4 can exist (package name is different too, and one
installs its files in /usr/lib, the other in /usr/lib64 as per the AMD64
ABI).

Of course, this may be different for other programs, which do require
the '64' in the package name because some other program explicitly
depends on a 64 bit version. But in general, this will only be true for
libraries because they go in the same address space. Interfaces between
programs and other programs will hopefully mostly be 64-bit clean.

The biggest objection that was raised is that it will be necessary
to make the source package for libreadline4 generate two packages,
libreadline4 and lib64readline4. Same for all other libraries. IOW,
there's no automatic way to create all these lib64* packages from
source.

Have I summarised this correctly?

Cheers,

Emile.