Re: Autobuild time-saving proposal

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 02:43:50PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> >All another story is that:
> >- it uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH so if the resulting packages
> >are for ex. missing a lib - they won't work anyway
> >(that shouldn't happen though)
> >- it doesn't *install* the resulting package which
> >would prove it to be actually instalable
>
> Those especially should not happen if people test their packages before
> uploaded, which of course they do :-)

Unlike you, I am convinced that all dd tests their packages before
uploading them. Personnaly I use a wrapper around dput to make sure I
don't forget to make some rudimentary testing.

That said unless you use a chroot to build your packages, you are not in
an environment that allow you to catch all mistakes. And even if you use
a chroot, you can't catch problems that occurs only on other
architectures.

I guess you use an x86 computer. Let me tell you that 9 months with a
powerpc laptop convinced me that a missing lib in an autobuilt powerpc
package is something that happen, while in the same time the x86 binary
package can be successfully autobuilt.
The d-powerpc mailing-list archive can prove it.

Christophe

L'experience, c'est une connerie par jour mais jamais la même.