Re: Every spam is sacred

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 08:34:40PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:38:47 +0100, Simon Huggins <huggie@earth.li> said:
> >> [...]  No.
> > So we should encourage open relays then?  Make it easy to send from
> > them and have their mail accepted everywhere.
> 	The fallacy is that the opposite of blocking mail from open
>  relays denotes encouragement.

The more open relays there are, the easier it is to spam people.
Not persuading people to properly admin mail servers and close open
relays does indeed encourage spammers.
One way of persuasion is for their users to receive bounces which tell
them why it bounced and explain about open relays.

> > What possible excuse is there to have an open relay running?
> 	Umm, I've heard some old timers from back when we all had open
>  relays still defend the tradition. However, this is a red
>  herring.

So you agree that no one should need to run open relays?

> 	Don't run open relayts if you do not want to. Heck, warn the
>  admins of the open relays if you feel so motivated. Coercing them to
>  adopt your standards by blocking email from them is an aggressive act,

Well it's not an agressive act.  It's just mail sent to me.

If I procmailed people to /dev/null is that agressive?  So suddenly
because people get notification that I rejected their mail it becomes
agressive?  Surely it is defensive.  It's my mail, I therefore can do
what I like with it.  Though see below.

>  and one everyone may not agree with.,

Your last point is valid though.  Obviously it is different rejecting
mail based on open relays for your own personal email, as opposed to for
@debian.org addresses and I'm not convinced that you'll ever get
consensus for these things at more than a warning level.

--
Simon  [ huggie@earth.li ] *\        "Just wait. My crystal ball is  \**