Re: Autobuild time-saving proposal

christophe barbe wrote:
> I have an idea and wonder if:
> 1. it's not a stupid idea,
> 2. the framework to implement it is already there.
[...]
> For example for gphoto2 I could run gphoto2 --list-cameras and  gphoto2
> --list-ports which load all the libgphoto2 libraries and use them.
> If both commands succeed, the package is certainly use-able.
Can't you do (maybe with some LD_LIBRARY_PATH) do this in debian/rules with the
executable in debian/tmp_or_whatever now (similar to other's doing "make test"
or such?). It's sort of standard good practice to do some testing after build
with more complex packages. Although I can imagine situations when actually
installing the package is more desirable (e.g. debian (pre|post)(inst|rm)
errors) - whether in those case you want automatic testing is questionable, though.

Cheers

T.