Re: Unresolved symbols when building kernel modules with make-kpkg, worked fine before

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:40:33 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 11:23:49AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:59:04 +0200, Sven Luther
>> <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:

>> > I did that too, too bad that make-kpkg doesn't have a variable
>> > were you can specify the gcc to use or something such.
>> Why should it? There is a perfectly good way of doing this using
>> MAKEFLAGS; without adding to the feeping creaturism that has
>> already infected kernel-package.
>>
>> It is even documented in the README.
>>
>> The kernel Makefile overrides the environment variables CC and
>> HOSTCC, or else the MAKEFLAGS over ride would not have been needed.

> That said, the MAKEFLAGS is not listed as environment variable in
> the make-kpkg man page, while the following are :

> Is there a reason for that ?

	Yes. MAKEFLAGS is not something that make-kpkg acts upon. This
 is a common make variable. Just like we do not document CFLAGS, CC,
 CXX, and other variables that the underlying make uses.

> Furthermore, it would be nice if you could add a :

> MAKEFLAGS := "CC=gcc-3.2"

> line to your /etc/kernel-pkg.conf, like it is possible with at least
> some other environment variables (ROOT_CMD and PATCH_THE_KERNEL seem
> to work).

	Have you actually tried it?

	manoj

--
"Being against torture ought to be sort of a multipartisan thing."
Karl Lehenbauer, as amended by Jeff Daiell, a Libertarian