Re: [desktop] Motto

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 10:51:25PM -0500, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> This obviously isn't that big of a deal, but I suggest that the
> Debian-Desktop project motto be changed from "Software which Just Works"
> to "Software that Just Works". Good grammar and all that.

AIUI, you'd be wrong to suggest that.

"That" following a noun is only incorrect grammar if there's a comma
between the preceding noun and the word "that".

E.g.:

ACCEPTABLE: The dog, which had bitten my leg the week previously, turned
out to have rabies.

ACCEPTABLE: The dog which had bitten my leg the week previously turned
out to have rabies.

ACCEPTABLE: The dog that had bitten my leg the week previously turned
out to have rabies.

NONSTANDARD: The dog, that had bitten my leg the week previously, turned
out to have rabies.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Imagination was given man to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    compensate for what he is not, and