Re: automake/autoconf/libtool -- convince me

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 15:42, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> I've found that running the toolchain at cvs-checkout time (I use
> cvs-buildpackage), is a good compromise.  But to each, its own.

Personally, I think this is bad because unless you're actually modifying
the upstream build system, you shouldn't be rerunning the autotools.
And even then if you have changes you should be sending them upstream.

I understand the argument about not keeping Makefile.in, configure and
friends in CVS.  What you should probably do instead of running the
autotools at cvs export time is use "make dist" to generate a tarball,
and use that as the .orig.tar.gz.  cvs-buildpackage could have a bit of
automation to do this for you.

Personally, I gave up on keeping upstream packages in CVS and using
cvs-buildpackage; I find having separate patches in debian/patches is
cleaner and easier to manage.