Re: automake/autoconf/libtool -- convince me

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

[...]
> I've seen many statements from people who presumably know the autotools
> cold that what I'm doing is flat out wrong, but they never back them up.
> So if you want to convince me please keep my reasons in mind and back up
> your statements with real explanations. Thanks.

One reason not to run the autotools at build time is that it can make it
more difficult to backport the package to stable.  If, for example, the
package build-depends on a newer version of libtool or automake1.7, the
package will not build on a stable system.  However, if you include the
junk in the diff and don't re-run the autotools at build time, it will
backport nicely (barring other issues, of course).

I had complaints related to this with aspell, so I ended up caving in
and leaving the auto-junk in the diff.

--
Poems... always a sign of pretentious inner turmoil.