Re: ftp.au.debian.org

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 10:38:24AM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> > BTW, AARNet's mirror, according to my last information, doesn't have the
> > standard paths as described at http://www.debian.org/mirror/official
>
> Paths look okay to me.

The last information I[1] have (I cannot check myself because I'm outside
as well) is /pub/*, which would need to go. Note that I don't believe the
maintainer of said mirror ever contacted us about their mirror listing,
at least not in the last three or four years. In general, lack of ability
to verify an official mirror is not something I would be overly happy to
accept these days.

> > The fact it's not at all reachable from the outside world also definitely
> > doesn't go in its favor...
>
> Why can't a country specific mirror only be accessible to the country it's
> specific for?

It's possible, but it's quite deprecated, especially when the said country's
neighbours also don't have many official mirrors. As it happens, we only
have a few small heaps of mirrors along the eastern Pacific coast, and
ftp.nz.d.o is already pretty much closed, so I would be very wary of
degrading ftp.au.d.o from open-access to closed.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.

[1] speaking as the mirror list maintainer here.