Re: ftp.au.debian.org

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 03:53:48PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 07:00:35PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> > Who determines who is the official Debian mirror for a country?
> >
> > Reason I ask is I'd like to propose that ftp.au.debian.org gets switched
> > over to mirror.aarnet.edu.au instead of ftp.planetmirror.com, given Planet
> > Mirror's provider seems to be extremely unreliable.
>
> Can you elaborate on this extreme unreliability, please?

PlanetMirror's connectivity appears to be via iSeek (do a traceroute). I
happen to be a colocation customer of iSeek as well. iSeek reportedly (as
I customer I've never received an unscheduled outage notification) have
issues with their border router and there's been a few (not short)
outages. One memorable one was from around 3am till not long after start
of business hours.

PlanetMirror (and iSeek) obviously haven't heard of BCP0016/RFC2182
insofar that they both place all their nameservers behind the one link.
For a long enough outage, both domains fall off the face of the DNS. As
ftp.au.debian.org is a CNAME to ftp.planetmirror.com, so does
ftp.au.debian.org. During such an outage, it's always nicer for a "host
unreachable" when doing an apt-get rather than a lengthy hang on a DNS
resolution timeout.

> BTW, AARNet's mirror, according to my last information, doesn't have the
> standard paths as described at http://www.debian.org/mirror/official
> The fact it's not at all reachable from the outside world also definitely
> doesn't go in its favor...

Paths look okay to me. Why can't a country specific mirror only be
accessible to the country it's specific for?

Andrew