Re: Downgrading a bug?

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 09:36:50AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> Sometimes there are bugs that could be dealt with in two ways. One ist
> easy (e.g. put a warning in the documentation at the right place), the
> other one would be much niecer in the long run. I would like that the
> change-log downgrades the bug automatically on the first patch to
> severity wishlist (e.g. with a "Wishlist #nnnn" in changelog)
>
> Currently this doesn't work. What would be right now? Closing the bug
> via Changelog and reopening it by hand, or just putting the change
> into changelog and changing the severity by hand?

Making that work would require changes to dpkg (dpkg-genchanges
generates the Closes: line in .changes files which is parsed by the
archive maintenance software) and katie (to deal with it). I don't think
it's really worth it. Just mention the bug in the changelog without
closes: in front of it, and forward the .changes file to the bug report
and control@bugs with "severity nnnnn wishlist" "thanks" at the
beginning.

Cheers,