Re: console mode(probally off)

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On Monday 02 June 2003 04:09, Luiz Rafael Culik Guimaraes wrote:
> > How to start debian  direct on console mode,
> Eh?  I thought Debian always started in console mode unless you both installed
> xdm (or the gnome/kde equivalent) and enabled it.
Unfortunately, all of these three ({x,g,k}dm) automatically start X when
the system starts if they are installed, and AFAIK neither of them
provides a way to disable them other than uninstalling them or editing
/etc/{rc*.d,init.d}/whatever by hand.

The things are even worse: a vast majority of novice users use tasksel
when installing Debian, and the two most often selected tasks ("X window
system" and "desktop environment") include xdm variants.  Thus, questions
like "How to start debian direct on console mode" have a lot of merit.
It might be just me, but my eyes hurt more after a few hours of doing
things in graphics mode than after a 48h straight programming run on a
text console.

As a completely unrelated note, I wonder what is the reason to use fbdev
instead of real text console/svgatextmode in the default kernel.  I was
setting up a server on an old Pentium MMX 210Mhz machine yesterday, and
switching between consoles took more than a second.  Considering that even
on a 1300Mhz machine with GForce2 at home fbdev scrolling is noticeably
sluggish, I'm afraid to even think about what would happen on a 386.

What about reverting the installation kernels back to the good old real
text console, which has been enjoyed full hardware acceleration since
the times of MDA cards?

1KB
/-----------------------\ Shh, be vewy, vewy quiet,
| kilobyte@mimuw.edu.pl | I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!